Wednesday, July 29, 2009

View from the Top: The Founding Fathers

 

Ben Franklin reporting:

 

Thanks to the liberal hacks in education, most of you only think of me as a lecherous, old man who hung out in France nailing hot chicks all the time.  I'm not denying the truth of this statement but would like to point out something that your card-carrying member of the teacher's union didn't tell you, to wit, I was able to party like this in my old age because I worked my ass off as a young man.  I basically retired from my printer's shop in my forties because I'd made, and more importantly, saved so much money.  Of course, we didn't have thieves like King Hussein Obama the First to slap onerous taxes on us either so I'm not necessarily blaming you if you're forced to continue working at an advanced age.

 

As I said, my business was publishing and over the years I developed a talent for creating pithy sayings to express universal truths.  After watching Democratic Congressman John Conyers make an ass of himself the other day, http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=51610&print=on, one of these sayings came to mind:

 

Good sense is a thing all need, few have, and none think they want.

 

I can barely find the words to express how profoundly stupid Conyers' statement is.  In essence, Conyers claims that it's not worth reading the bill because it would take him two days and the advice of two lawyers to understand it.  How can this man, whose sole job is the people's business, not find two days to understand one of the most important pieces of legislation in decades?  Couldn't he have read the goddamn bill by July 1st, talked to the lawyers on July 2nd and 3rd, and still have time to get to the weenie roast on July 4th?  Reminds of another saying:

 

Tis easy to frame a good bold resolution;

but hard is the Task that concerns execution.

 

To be fair, Conyers' comments were a short excerpt from a long address so I thought I'd try to put them in their proper context.  Here's the video of the speech Conyers gave at the National Press Club on July 24, 2009.  http://www.press.org/video/player.cfm?type=lunch&id=18298

 

Don't let the 49 minutes of the clip scare you from watching it.  The first 10 minutes is the president of the club flapping her gums and Conyers' remarks end at about the 35 minute mark so the speech is only about 25 minutes long..  As you watch this doddering old man ramble on and on, keep repeating to yourself that this fool in a high ranking member of your government.

 

Around the 23 minutes mark of the video, Conyers starts talking about the desirability of a single payer health plan.  He's claims that the current health system is complicated because there are 1,200 different health insurance plans and even if you read your insurance plan, you'll never understand it.  Of course, he never bothers to convince his listeners that the government health plan will be any easier to understand.  Anybody who has ever read the wonderfully easy to understand documents produced by the Internal Revenue Service can vouch for the ability of our government to produce plain language, simple to understand prose.

 

Then, after admitting that he hasn't read the bill and he couldn't understand it without time and help, he goes on to say this: 

 

But what I'm saying is that too much is the same.  We're not making enough changes.  We're not covering everybody.  It's not really universal. 

 

So in essence he's saying that even though he hasn't read the bill, he knows it's missing crucial provisions.  How he knows this he never bothers to explain.

 

In one sense I feel sorry for this man in that he is 80 years old and clearly not up to the task of governing.  When I was 81 years old I was a delegate to the Constitutional Convention and let me tell you, some days it was pretty rough.  But unlike this clown, I actually read the Constitution before I voted on the damn thing.  I would have resigned if I couldn't have even read the document we were entrusted with creating.  Perhaps a few words from my speech to the Convention on September 17, 1787 might be useful advice for Representative Conyers:

 

For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged by better information, or fuller consideration, to change opinions even on important subjects, which I once thought right, but found to be otherwise. It is therefore that the older I grow, the more apt I am to doubt my own judgment, and to pay more respect to the judgment of others.

 

And by the way, as long as I'm pulling out some of my old sayings, here's one that sums up all you need to know about our current president, King Hussein Obama the First:

 

            He that lives upon Hope, dies farting..


1 comment:

  1. Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.

    - Ben Franklin

    ReplyDelete