Wednesday, March 18, 2009

View from the Top: The Founding Fathers

 

Patrick Henry reporting

 

Yep, that's right.  I'm the "liberty or death" guy with the big handwriting.  Enough said, let's move on.  Over the past two hundred years it's never ceased to amaze me the ingenuity a people can display once they are freed from the shackles of an oppressive government.  Just consider all the technological advances made over that time by our people.  A journey of thousand miles passes by in hours due to the modern jet airplane.  Our committees of correspondence look childish compared to the instantaneous communications of the internet and cellular phones.  Pick any endeavor, medicine, finance, law, and you will find the mark of technological progress.

 

Of course, every gem has its flaws and one invention I could certainly do without is the Tele-Prompt-Ter.  Our current president relays on this device far too heavily, sometimes to his detriment.  http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Barack-Obama-Thanks-Himself-In-Teleprompt-Blunder-During-Address-With-Irish-PM-On-St-Patricks-Day/Article/200903315243932?lpos=World_News_First_World_News_Article_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15243932_Barack_Obama_Thanks_Himself_In_Teleprompt_Blunder_During_Address_With_Irish_PM_On_St_Patricks_Day  This buffoon and his Irish cousin stupidly started to repeat the other's speeches because of an error in the operations of this machine.  I thank God that we didn't have such a device on that fateful day in the House of Burgesses although I'd like to think that I would not be such a fool as to start reading the wrong speech.  Imagine if we'd had this device and I'd read,

 

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?  Forbid it, Almighty God!  I know not course others may take; but as for me, give me pancakes or give me death!

 

Doesn't have the same ring to it, does it.

 

Now as I said, the modern world is filled with marvels, another of which is the video recorder.  How many great speeches of my day were lost forever due to our inability to record them when delivered?  Today this does not occur.  Obama's every public word and action is dutifully recorded even down to the minutia of his picks for the Final Four.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/13/obama-bracket-2009-ncaa-m_n_174769.html But as of this writing, you can search the internet far and wide and fail to find any video of Obama making a fool of himself reading the Irish Prime Minister's speech. 

 

This form of self-censorship smacks of the type executed in my day in favor of the King.  To point out the King's flaws and follies was considered a form of blasphemy.  Is this the type of society, the type we risked everything to throw off, that we want?  I know not course others may take but as for me…


No comments:

Post a Comment