If you can ever get an aging liberal to talk about something else besides how much they love King Hussein Obama the First or what a scumbag George Bush was, most likely this liberal will wax nostalgic about the halcyon days of the protests against the Vietnam War. Oh yes, those were the days, your gray-haired, former hippie freak will tell you as they sip their herbal tea. The evil conservatives, the military-industrial complex and their sycophants in the media were all stopped dead in their tracks by a rag-tag bunch of kids armed with nothing but a righteous cause. Protesting, this liberal will tell you, is the highest calling a man/woman can aspire to.
But oh what a difference forty years makes!! Now that protesters have risen up against their beloved leader, his Majesty Barack, and his worthless minions, these hypocrite liberals employ all the old arguments against civil disobedience that were once hurled at them. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/25765.html These modern protesters don't represent the average man.. They're evil and under the control of dark, unseen forces like the insurance companies or heaven forbid, the Republican Party. They go to these townhall meetings, not to rationally discuss healthcare reform, but for the sole purpose of disruption. The forces of law and order, formerly known as the pigs, should drag their screaming asses out of these meetings, Constitutional rights be damned.
As I've often said, to be a good liberal is cultivate a short memory. Up to just a few months ago, protesting was a noble art. Who can ever forget that miserable hag Hillary Clinton screaming at the top of her lungs:
I'm sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We need to stand up and say we're Americans, and we have the right to debate and disagree with any administration..
Well for all you liberals out there who are so pissed off about the disruptions of these townhall meetings about healthcare reform, here's a list of some disruptions that you all seemed to approve of:
1. Protesters threw shoes at the White House and a 30 foot blow-up doll of President George Bush, complete with a long-Pinocchio-like nose. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/19/bush-protest-shoes-thrown_n_159223.html
2. Protesters repeatedly interrupt President Bush's Fourth of July speech in 2008, calling him a "war criminal" and "fascist." http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/07/protesters-inte.html
3. Code Pink activists disrupt President Bush's Second Inaugural speech, screaming "Champagne is flying while soldiers are dying" and "Out of Iraq now." http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/01/21/PROTESTS.TMP
4. Code Pink activists interrupted Sarah Palin's speech at the 2008 Republican National Convention, yelling "Women say no to war" and "Women need a peace vice-president". http://codepink4peace.org/blog/2008/09/codepink-activists-interrrupt-sarah-palins-rnc-speech-at-side-of-the-stage/
5. Two protesters interrupted a March 8, 2006 hearing of the House Appropriations Committee considering additional funding for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan by reading a list of U.S. war dead. http://vcnv.org/d-c-judge-gives-protesters-time-served-for-disrupting-congressional-hearing-on-iraq-war-funding
6. Protesters against the 1999 meeting of the World Trade Organization in Seattle engaged in a shocking display of violence; vandalizing storefronts, windows, blocking streets, etc. and ultimately fought a day long battle with police for control of the City. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTO_Ministerial_Conference_of_1999_protest_activity
7. As you can see this list could go for ever but I can't stop without including my personal favorite mode of liberal protest, that old staple of slap-stick: the pie in the face. Here's a partial list of victims.
- Ann Coulter, conservative political columnists http://skylab.org/~plumpy/308181.wmv
- Milton Freedman, conservative economist http://www..eatthestate.org/03-07/MiltonFriedmanGets.htm
- Thomas Friedman, liberal political columnist who apparently wasn't liberal enough for two wacked out liberals http://www.projo.com/news/content/friedman_speaks_04-23-08_QN9SH59_v17.373f992..html
- Charles Hurwitz, CEO of a logging firm in Northern California http://www.motherjones.com/politics/1999/03/medium-meringue
- Jennifer Jolly, local Fox station reporter in San Fran Sicko http://www.whisperedmedia.org/jollypie.html
- Calvin Klein, fashion designer who was unfortunately standing next to the intended target, Karl Lagerfeld, another fashion designer who thinks fur is an appropriate component of clothing http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/06/15/entertainment/main296799.shtml
- William Kristol, conservative political commentator http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDEoLJGyCAo
- Frank Loy, U.S. chief negotiator at the Hague climate change talks http://www.sovereignty.net/p/clim/hague1100/henry-5.html
- Ralph Nader, liberal activist whose 2000 presidential campaign is considered by some liberal wacks to have denied Al Gore the presidency http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0813-01.htm
- Jeffery Skilling, CEO of the infamous rouge corporation Enron, not for his actual crimes but for his ties to President Bush and supposed environmental damage http://www.whisperedmedia.org/enron_pie_wm.html
- Courtney Freil, Fox News correspondent who had the misfortune to be covering the Ringling Bros. Circus at Madison Square Garden http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/06/fncs-courtney-friel-gets_n_95326.html (As a brief aside, before joining the evil conservative network, Ms. Freil posed in a bikini for the men's magazine, Maxim. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/02/20/courtney-friel-bikini-pic_n_87608.html The same liberals who dream of sleeping with King Obama and air brush his beefcake photos apparently don't think it is appropriate for a conservative to be sexy.)
Of course, most liberal hacks will tell you that a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds even though they probably wouldn't be caught dead reading the works of a dead white guy like Emerson. However a brave few have noticed the inconsistency in the liberal attitude towards protest and spoken out, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marty-kaplan/mobs-r-us_b_250482.html , though if you read this post closely even this liberal loses his nerve at the end of the article but at least I give him points for the effort.
If the liberal Congressmen are stupid enough to continue holding these townhalls about healthcare reform, I'm sure we'll see continued protests and more liberal whining. Just today, the liberals have pulled their trump card, claiming that the protesters are nothing but a bunch of racist, angry white males.. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/04/for-the-modern-gop-its-a_n_250560.html If I've learned anything from observing liberals over all these years I've learned this: that once they start crying racism that means they're about licked. Even though the liberals have crossed the Rubicon on healthcare reform, it looks like the Ides of March for this disastrous plan is close at hand.